fot

TR4 block deck surface irregularities

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 block deck surface irregularities
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 23:40:38 -0500
Last night I went over to help a fellow club member who was having head
gasket problems on a newly rebuilt TR4A. By the time I arrived, the fellow
and the engine builder/machinist had already removed the head. I was
immediately struck by the clean surface of the block deck. Every one I've
seen seemed to have a dark "old" look to the surface, but this one was
almost new. They had just finished measuring up the liner protrusion and
said it was OK, but I had to check for myself. I found that manifold side
was .003" and the other .0055". I surmised that a previous rebuilder had the
block decked and it wasn't exactly level. The engine builder used the
Victoria British figure 8's, which I have found to be .003" thinner than
stock, so this may account for the fact that it fit if my block decking
theory is correct. I had brought over a spare stock head gasket which I had
purchased from TRF. It was stamped Made in England. The VB gasket that came
off the car was inferior in a couple of areas (although it looked like it
might fit a milled head with the shrouds relieved). It was opened up by the
intakes, leaving less surface with the liner, was less precise and even the
water jacket opening didn't match as well.  Although it was compressed, it
may even have been thinner to start with based on what I've seen in the
past. It had no stampings at all. VB seems to opt for the cheaper parts
whenever available. The question is, has anyone seen "sloped" decks before?
With the TRF gasket, proper attention to detail and a good covering of
Coppercote I'm expecting this to work. Am I being overly optimistic?
TIA

Bob Kramer
Hill Country Triumph Club
Corinthians Vintage  Auto Racing Club