fot

Re: THE BIG BLOW

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: Re: THE BIG BLOW
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:44:54 -0400
At 08:41 AM 9/14/99 -0500, Jack W Drews wrote:
>I think I'll go down to Florida and sit in my car with the top down -- it
will
>be my only chance to experience a 160 mph wind.....

I've experienced a wind of that magnitude once - when I first moved to
Boulder, CO, we got a Chinook wind that went off the scale of the NOAA
weather station (150 mph anemometer) which was just up the street from
the rental house that I was living in.  It was quite impressive; the
whole house shook until our front picture window blew in, which apparently
relieved the pressure, then it wasn't quite so bad.  The next morning, our
front yard was littered with wood and shingles from other houses on the
street whose roofs blew off.  We were among the lucky ones with minimal
damage.  Its not something I'm looking foward to experiencing again any
time soon.

Best wishes for all our Florida friends,

John Lye

'59 TR-3A, '62 TR-4, '70 GT-6+
email: rjl6n@virginia.edu
homepage:  http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm