fot

Re: Hello, dolly?

To: John Lehman <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Hello, dolly?
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:33:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I tried fabricating some dollies so I could move my project around about
two years ago. A word of advice: don't use the dollies in conjunction
with jack stands unless the dollies have a very broad width. My dollies
were only abour 12 inches square - they should have been more like 18
inches. At any rate with a small "base", they are very "tippy". Good
thing the car was only a frame at that time... ;-)

That having been said, there are a number of vendors out there - one
would be Kingsbury Dolly Company from beautiful Walpole, NH. See
www.kingdolly.com for more info. Figure $150 per pair. Expensive - but
nice. And shop around, I've seen these dollies on all the big tool catalogs.

I'd heartily endorse the "buy it" option in this case, but if you must
build - remember the saying: "I aho laula" - wider is better. Sorry for
the Hawaiian digression.

The type of dolly that goes under the wheels (with the wheels still on
the car) are of course your safest bet. With respect to sloped floors,
have some "wheel chocks" handy when you roll the car.

And remember that a whole car has alot of intertia. Please be careful.
All above references are from experience. I was lucky - no bodily harm
and no property damage. You might not be so lucky.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |