fot

Re: Hello, dolly?

To: John Lehman <JELehman@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Hello, dolly?
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 09:58:41 -0500
There are lots of companies who make these dollies, advertised in car magazines,
Hemmings, etc. Take a look at

http://www.Kingdolly.com/photos.html

for a really nice set that costs $325. There's another company that makes them
for a lower price but I lost the bookmark in a computer changeover.

I've seen several different brands and have seen some pitfalls. If you buy some,
stay away from the ones that are a curved metal plate with four small casters. I
saw one of these flipped from under the front wheel of a 6000 lb. classic
Packard -- not pretty.

There are two things to watch for on these car dollies. First, if you get some
that the car wheels set on, when you move the car they will very easily flip out
from under the front wheel. Hard to describe in words why this is, but it has to
do with the moving force being transmitted at the hub of the unbraked wheel, and
the dolly casters hitting some very small obstruction. Secondly, the right kind
of casters must be used or it's difficult to change directions.

I built a bunch of these for myself and friends (at least they used to be
friends). I built them from 1-1/2" angle and they are designed so that when the
car is on the dollies, the bottom surface of the tire is about 1" off the floor,
and the wheel is captured by the dolly my car has 15" wheels). The major
obstacle is the cost of the casters. We purchased quite a few of them (80) to
get the price down -- if you try to purchase just enough to build four dollies,
it costs more for the casters than for whole dollies already fabricated.

We used the least expensive steel wheeled casters made. They are quite safe.
Their only disadvantage is they take a little fiddling to change direction (like
from east-west to north-south) because of the friction of the wheels on the
floor. I built two sets for myself but only use one set, and if you would like
the other set of four, noting the above shortcoming, I'll sell them to you for
the cost of material in them for ($150 plus you pay shipping).

Good luck.

--
uncle jack
TR4 - 10 mpg