fot

A reply for MR O'Driscoll

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: A reply for MR O'Driscoll
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:58:15 -0000
Kevin O'Driscoll opines that my WW2 anecdote on the anti G fuel metering
valve invented by Mrs Tilly Shilling smacks of an 'antiquated attitude.' I
put it on the FOT list because I thought members would appreciate a unique
piece of engineering history. It contains unique humour, whilst
exemplifying the part that a brilliant member of the fair sex played in
preventing the loss of our pilot's lives. Tilly Shilling also found the
nickname of her invention by her Rolls colleagues highly amusing - she had
a keen sense of humour.

You write, "Obviously Mrs Shilling is now posthumously remembered as the
engineer who won the Battle of Britain and bested the engineers at Rolls."
- Due to the general tone of your e-mail this could be interpreted as
disrespectful, sneering sarcasm. You could also have saved yourself further
embarrassment by checking your history, because the negative G problem was
not solved until after the Battle of Britain. Tilly Shilling, besides being
a brilliant engineer, was also a 'Lady' in the best interpretation of that
word. As such, she would never have interpreted any of her work as
bettering the Rolls engineers, who were her close colleagues.

I find your paragraphs on the vicissitudes and marketing ploys of the
London motor dealer and the Ford Motor Company on the new DB7 Aston Martin
have the depth and clarity of a shallow muddy puddle on a foggy day, and
wonder how you connect a 1999 marketing exercises with a true 60 year old
engineering story. You say in your last paragraph - to quote you exactly -
"The times article on Ford's mission to make Aston Martin a sports car
competitor of Ferrari also illustrates an ungentlemanly persona, actually
rather delicate, gripping the top of the steering wheel quite firmly with
both hands, as she pilots the new V12 DB7 Vantage Volante at speed. Mrs
Shilling would approve, I'm quite sure."

I'm equally sure that Kitty Shilling would not approve of your arrogant and
somewhat provocative script, nor would she approve of your connecting her
good name with any of your personal observations. The marketing methods
used to sell any car, including Astons, I doubt would have interested her
at all - because of her undoubted intelligence, and the fact that her
preferred transport was always her motor cycle!

Finally. I feel your perceptions on what should be gentlemanly behavior,
and your arrogant script, have only served to highlight your own persona
and 'attitude' - rather than that of anyone else. I also feel that your
provocative e-mail, and thus my forced reply, is the last thing anyone
would wish to be posted on the FOT list, and I humbly apologize for my part
to all members. After all, we are Triumph enthusiasts who just want to have
fun and enjoy Triumphs.

Sincerely

Paul