fot

Stranger than fiction

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stranger than fiction
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:24:41 -0000
Whilst Bill D was in bed reading the 1937 edition of Tattler to give us
some Triumph history on the Gloria, I was in bed this side of the pond
reading  the March 1934 edition of 'Motor Sport' (Julia had commandeered
the TV downstairs for one of her favorite (and very boring) programs.

I came across a Triumph write up on the 1933 Monte Carlo Rally. Donald
Healey and a team of SEVEN Glorias were entered. All seven cars finished
the Rally (from several different starting points) within the allotted
time. The article also said that this was the first serious attempt by
Triumph at an International event. In honor of the achievement a dinner was
held at 'Newnhams' the London Triumph distributor in Berkeley Street. There
is also a picture of Donald Healey and two of the drivers, with Maurice
Newnham and Col. Holbrook (Chairman of Triumph).

Typically the French objected to the Triumph victoryt saying that the
speeds the Glorias achieved on the tests could not be achieved unless the
Glorias had 'big' engines. The French insisted on engine check and the
Glorias were found  to be 'standard.' The French objection was considered
'a foreign tribute' to the performance of the Triumph Glorias as 'British
light cars'

Paul