fot

Re: Stranger than fiction

To: <BillDentin@AOL.COM>, <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Stranger than fiction
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 23:15:27 -0000

>In a message dated 12/07/1999 2:54:11 PM Central Standard
Time,
>jonmac@ndirect.co.uk writes:
>
><< Typically the French objected to the Triumph victoryt
> saying that the
> >speeds the Glorias achieved on the tests could not be
> achieved unless the
> >Glorias had 'big' engines.  >>

No, Bill - I didn't write that. Someone else did. I came in
on the thread about the Cooper 'S' cars in the 1966 Monte.

>Since my paternal ancestors where guys with first names
like Jean and
>Antoine, and they came to the USA from the Alsace one of
the times Germany
>took over, I must protest any suggestion that the French
are Hard Losers.  I
>think we all look for an excuse when we bet beat.

Ah, but you overlook the fact (perhaps unknown to you) that
the Brits and the French have been at one another's throats
for well over a thousand years. At the moment, they won't
import our beef (probably any more than they're willing to
import yours either) and the mutual animosity nation to
nation is as alive and well as ever it was. Doesn't go
necessarily to an individual level but nationally we hate
one another's guts - and I don't presently see any
likelihood of the picture improving in the next few days.

>Fast Little British Cars makes me think of one of the times
I heard PHIL HILL
>speak.  He was asked with all of his international motor
sports history, what
>single item impressed him the most.  Without taking a
breath he said
>something to the effect of, "...driving for MG at the Utah
Salt Flats.  I
>could not believe how much speed they could get out of
those little British
>engines."

Next time you're in the UK, come to Gaydon. Then you'll be
able to see not only the car but the engine as well to which
Phil Hill refers.

Jonmac