fot

Re: Stranger than fiction

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <BillDentin@AOL.COM>,
Subject: Re: Stranger than fiction
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 13:07:26 -0800
I was at the salt flats when both Phil Hill and Goldie Gardner ran for
records. (two different occasions) Pretty awsome stuff in the roaring
fifties. Goldie Gardners car stopped on the back side from the pits when
they were doing the endurance run on the ten mile circle. He had a broken
rocker arm.  I loaned the rocker from my stock MG. to the team so that they
could get the car quickly back to the piuts.  Ah yes, days of yore. I was
also at the Flats when Donald and Geoff Healey were there running for
records with the Healey's.  I rode out to the track on the flats several
times with Geoff Healey and he by far was the worst driver I have ever seen.
It was just a two lane road in those daysfrom Wendover Utah but he had
trouble keeping a 1953 Chevrolet beween the shoulders.  Yet on the flats he
was terrific.  At that time Geoff showed me how to trick the 3 speed gearbox
in the Healey 100 to get the fourth speed that was in the box but locked
out.  Thinking about it there was  a lot going on in those days after all.