fot

Bye Bye WestCo AGM battery & Moss-London!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bye Bye WestCo AGM battery & Moss-London!
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:11:01 EST
Previously on this thread:

We have discussed the merits and care of WestCo 'Gel-filled' batteries,
(really AGM).

Generally, it is agreed that being sealed, they should only be charged very
slowly at say 0.5-1.0 amps over an 18-24 hour period.

The expensive WestCo delivered to me by Moss London, (Not part of moss USA)
was dead, and I mean DEAD flat upon arrival.
I am advised that if it has been allowed to fall below 3 volts, it may not be
recoverable.
Further, my somewhat ancient battery charger, whilst fine for wet-cell
batteries, is almost certainly no use for a WestCo.

I was also recommended, after buying the WestCo, to buy an Optima, and indeed
have found out where to purchase one here in the UK.

I therefore decided to return the dead WestCo to Moss, here in London.
Last night, someone whispered into my ear that Moss London were going into
administrative receivership, (don't know if that's what you cal it in the
USA?).
However, their trading days are severely limited!

I therefore got myself and the WestCo over to them this morning,
I met some other TSSC members there who already seemed to be aware of that
fact.
They fully refunded the cost of the WestCo (inc' shipping) without any
argument to my credit card account.
I heard them apologising to another customer for the lack of stock, due to
their being in administration.

At the foot of my Retail Refund statement, it says

"The affairs, business & property of the Company are being managed by
Christopher Laughton & Maurice Moses, who were appointed Joint Administrators
by order of the High Court on 4th January 2000".

I just thought people on the Triumph lists should know this.

Now, I go in search of an Optima!

Would listers who have Optimas fitted to their Triumphs please let me know
which type they have fitted? (Red or Yellow?) and if they were charged up and
ready to go when they took delivery of them?

Thank You

Regards

Léon