fot

Re: Survey of H.T.Leads in use by listers

To: "Leon Guyot" <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Survey of H.T.Leads in use by listers
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 00:07:18 -0000
>Friends, Romans & Listers,
>In my contining quest to find and fit all the best parts to my Triumph, and
>to help you all do the same...
>I am now reviewing the question of "What are the best High Tension Leads?"

Hi, Leon
I prefer to take the pragmatic point of view based on overall cost, allied to
reliability.
IMHO, there ain't no substitute for good old copper wire with a Champion
suppressor
screwed in on the end that matters. AFAIK the best conductor for electricity is
still
copper? Think I'm correct in saying its the preferred metal in the States where
the
Electric Chair is the preferred form of execution on Death Row? If copper
allied to a few
thousand volts can permanently wipe out a human being, it ought to be able to
fire a
sparking plug without too much hassle. After yay knows how many zillions of
satisfactory
sparks, old fashioned copper cored does fine for me. It's cheap, it works, it
was a far
better alternative than the c**p fitted when the cars were new, it's 'period,'
looks
'period,' crackles like 'period' and gives you a good 'belt' like 'period' if
you're not
careful where you put your fingers! It's good enough for me.

I appreciate your concern for all of us to find and fit the best - and perhaps
I can
develop this thread a bit further and pass on a tip? I've been greatly
concerned about
re-fuelling 'fallout' in my injection system (particles etc) and have spent
sleepless
nights pondering the dilemma. After a multitude of in-line filters and all to
no avail,
I've stuffed a pair of women's knickers in the filler pipe - and never had any
more
problems. Supplies are replenished fairly regularly at Moreton in Marsh street
market
where I can get five pairs of knickers for two quid! BTW, I always ensure the
knickers
don't fall into the tank as I trap the gusset with the filler cap. Refilling
does take
time now but it's a simple and cost effective - if unconventional solution to
the problem.
Needless to say, I do get some odd looks on garage forecourts - but what the
hell.

Cheers
Jonmac