fot

Re: Velocity Stacks and Rampipes? was SU carb fuel flow

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com, kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Velocity Stacks and Rampipes? was SU carb fuel flow
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:25:53 EST
This thread is getting more interesting all of the time. Thanks Uncle Jack!

(Yes, Leon, the term velocity stack and ram pipes are interchangeable)

I did notice that Moss has a pair for sale for near $50. Anyone have a
recommendation?

We (Sean) could also rework the existing ones on a lathe as there is plenty
of material to work with. One of my friends might be willing to give a
profile on paper from which to work. Or a gage could be made from wire,
exhibiting profile.

Not looking for dramatic improvement in lap times as much as nice running car
with great reliability...at low cost.

See you next year Leon.

Regards,

Joe

<< < The shape of the velocity stacks is super important.  The air is actually
  drawn from the carburetor side of the air inlet and so must go around the
  corner to get into the carburetor.  Therefore making a smooth roll on the
  edge makes this possible and will alter the value if not taken into
  consdieration.  There are several companies that make this kind of stack.
  (NO, I don't know who off hand but I know if I wanted these parts I'd  sure
  find 'em.)) >>

 Dear Kas and other FOT'ers

 My Vitesse has Triple Weber 40DCOE-18's fitted with the old style of steel
 Rampipes.

 Firstly,
 Are they what you are referring to as velocity stacks? or is that something
 different?

 Secondly,
 I have seen some racers using a more modern design of alloy rampipes,
 referred to as 'full radius' rampipes, which apparently exhibit increased
 airflow due to roll back lip design...

 I would be interested to hear of your (Kas) and any other FOT'ers thoughts
on
 these, and whether they are a worthwhile upgrade from the old design?

 Léon F Guyot

 Triumph Sports Six Club
 International Liaison Secretary
 1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
 Wimbledon, London, England. >>