fot

Cool coils

To: fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Cool coils
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 16:02:56 EST
Amici,

Somewhere, I have read that the ignition coil is best positioned away from
sources of heat. Therefore, it seems somewhat odd to me that on the Triumph
six cylinder engine, the coil is bolted directly to the engine block.
Since at least 30% of the energy produced by burning gasoline is lost as
heat, it seems even stranger to have put it there!
On the Herald, the coil is rather better positioned on the bulkhead beside
the battery, and just below the heater box. That also locates it more
centrally as far as weight distribution is concerned. OK, it isn't very
heavy, but every little counts.

My question is this...should the coil indeed be kept cooler?

Thanks

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.