fot

Re: Cool coils

To: pmcmull@ibm.net, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Re: Cool coils
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:00:07 EST
In a message dated 08/02/00 22:50:00 GMT Standard Time, pmcmull@ibm.net
writes:

<< Leon,

 While it may seem highly irregular having the coil bolted right to
 the engine block, there is some reasoning.  Air flow through the
 engine compartment can be very erratic at best.  The position of
 the coil is usually in the path of the best air flow.  (Usually!)
 So it is very possible that a coil would run cooler bolted to an
 engine block as opposed to an inner fender that may not receive
 the same volume of air across it.  Or the air may be very
 turbulent and ineffective for cooling.

 Pat in NC

Hmmm.

Interesting theory, and I see your point, which may make sense in some
applications of the straight six engine, but not on the Vitesse which has no
inner fender nearby, as the entire front clip pivots forward, including the
inner fenders...
The car also has a large water radiator directly in front with no airflow
around it to the coil, and it is also shielded by the alternator in front and
the distributor behind.

I suppose the only way to tell is to actually measure the temperature in the
two locations...although I still believe that it will get much hotter
attached to the side of the engine block, at least in this application.

Also, I live in London, so airflow through the engine 'bay' is no very fast,
if any at all, most of the time...although I try to avoid driving in heavy
traffic as it really screws with my fuel consumption, not to mention my
stress levels!!!

Thanks for your input

Léon

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.