fot

Re: Cool coils

To: LANG@isis.mit.edu, fot@autox.team.net (FOT)
Subject: Re: Cool coils
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:51:40 EST
In a message dated 08/02/00 21:36:10 GMT Standard Time, LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU
writes:

<< Hi,

 If you can place the coil easily on the firewall or inner fender, it
 would be a good thing. I recall reading at least one article in the past
 that indicated that moving the coil on a TR6 is a good thing to do.
 Excessive heat was referred to as a primary cause for coil failure.

>>>I knew there was a good reason!

 The only drawback to having the coil on the inner fender is that the coil
 wire might need to be a bit longer than it would in the stock location.
 This shouldn't be a problem if you are into making your own ignition wires.
 Ditto for the firewall.

OK, but the inner fender is out!
On the Vitesse, like the Herald & Spitfire, the entire front end (clip?) of
the car pivots up and forward from behind the front bumper (fender)...the
firewall is, basically what we refer to on those cars as the bulkhead...
and on the Herald that is exactly where the coil is already located, and not
only that, I built my Vitesse Convertible using a Herald Convertible
Bulkhead, as it is almost exactly identical, but already has holes and clips
for the coil...
It took me about 20 minutes to swap it over...

 Sorry to say, I have no idea what a Vitesse firewall looks like, but
 assuming that it's close to a GT6, it might be a little "tight" in
 there... wait - your car is RHD - nevermind. You probably have gobs of
 free space to place the coil. Go for it - a coil on the firewall.

 Better still, how about an Electromotive HPV-1 ignition system.... Hi John!

Hmmm, never heard of that one...but I do have a Microdynamics Formula 1 E-X-D
ignition system, which was one of the best available in Jan 1985 when I
bought it...

It is a contact-triggered system producing long duration, high energy sparks.
Uses the best features of contact breakers whilst eliminating the effects of
'points bounce' and 'burning'.
Points-to-contactless conversion kits cannot give these benefits and often
have the additional disadvantage of introducing timing errors.
Features built-in over-rev limiter and static timing light with an emergency
shorting socket to by-pass the system if required.
It cost a hefty 53 GBP back in 1985.

Apparently retaining original contact breaker points give the distributor
shaft stability, reduce whirling and backlash, and even keep the bob weights
on the move by vibration.

If the points are to be replaced, it is best done with the use of heavy
magnetic field pick-up, which simulate the effects of the points on the
mechanical parts of the distributor, whereas the alternative optical sensors
cannot do this and also have problems with re-firing caused by flashes from
sparks within the distributor cap.

It is ironic then that Microdynamics were bought out by the Luminition
Electronic Ignition people who are still selling their Optical Sensor system,
which I for one have tried, and know to be an inferior product!

BTW, the Formula 1 system is good for engines running up to 6500 rpm, whereas
for engines running up to 9000 rpm, a purpose built capacitive discharge
system with camshaft or crankshaft pick-up is more suitable.

The above is from the literature I got from Microdynamics in 1985.
I wish those guys were still in business, they really knew their stuff.
Most of the serious racers over here, used their kit and many still do.

Best Regards

Léon F Guyot

Triumph Sports Six Club
International Liaison Secretary
1963 Triumph Vitesse 2-Litre Convertible
Wimbledon, London, England.