fot

Re: Wheel bearings

To: "Richard Taylor" <n196x@mindspring.com>, <fot@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wheel bearings
From: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 20:45:26 -0700
Most of the cars have a pressure residual valve in the brake system.  This
is found on the left side of the engine compartment down on the frame rail
(probably).  This is a hex shaped piece about three inches long. The purpose
is to stop the brake pads from being knocked back so far that you have a low
pedal. BUT this will give a lot of drag when you are just sitting still as
the valve relies on the movement of the wheel and the flex  of the stub axle
to keep the pads knocked back a little and thus NO DRAG. If you take a good
hard knock at the top and then the bottom of the tire while jacked up the
pads will be knocked back slightly and  the wheel will be like a loose goose
( an expression used in some parts of the USA) ( that 's a technical term).
To have a good pedal on the brakes be sure to bleed the valve before you
bled the balance of the brakes. Bleed the valve on the far end away from the
master cylinder.