fot

RE: Wheel bearings

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: RE: Wheel bearings
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:02:18 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

My TR6 does this too, although if I "sock the bearings tight" it's not as
bad. But they only last a season or two at the "tighter spec". I would
not run the bearings real tight for road racing... that's asking for
trouble. I started socking the bearing up when I got sick of the tech
guys at local autocrosses telling me the bearings were bad when I knoew
them to be perfect.

If they only knew how often I take the thing apart...

;-)

My first or second autocross ever I got that "aw $#!^" feeling entering a
tight turnaround, foot to the floor on the brake... some "higher power"
whispered "heel and toe and punch first gear" which I did and the result
was a snap turn. Surprise! But, I was on course and held FTD until the
last run of the day when a TR8 with R tires beat me for overall FTD... I
still laugh about that when I see those old 185 Pirellis hanging on the
back wall in the garage. For some reason, I can't get myself to toss
those tires...

These cars are great even if they are technilogically challenged.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |