fot

Re: Book recommendation needed

To: Jack Brooks <brooks@belcotech.com>
Subject: Re: Book recommendation needed
From: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:14:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Jack Brooks wrote:

> Amici,

Ave!

Ooops... must be those three years of Latin and the new Gladiator thing
going on in the theatres right now... but I digress (still).

> The recent thread on camber has shown me just how weak my understanding of
> the concepts behind great handling really is.  Can anyone suggest a good
> book to help me get up to speed on handling, roll centers, etc.?

Without a doubt the Bible of the topic:

How to Make Your Car Handle by Fred Puhn. It's all in there.

> Knowing this group, I'd really prefer it if you could limit your
> suggestions to books which are still in print, regardless of what fine
> publications that excludes.  <Huge Grin>

That book has been through several reprints.

There's also another book that is a bit less detailed with dated stuff in
there (tires in particular) by a fellow named Don Alexander, I think. I
forget the title, but it has "handling" in the title. This book was in
print as of a year or so ago. What made this book shine (to me anyway)
was that where it glossed over absolute detail - the concepts were pretty
clear.

Puhn has all sorts of good stuff including equations for things like
spring rate etc.

I think you'll find the Puhn's book is highly regarded.

> Thanks,
>
> Jack Brooks
> 1960 TR3A
> 1974 Norton 850 Commando
> Hillsdale, NJ

Yer Welcome,
rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |