fot

RE: Book recommendation needed

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Subject: RE: Book recommendation needed
From: "James F. Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:51:35 -0400
I agree with Ted on this one.  Having just read all three of these book
mentioned, I think the Smith books are far and above better.  Although "making
you performance car handle" has good info in it, it does not get down into the
nitty gritty of what you ACTUALLY need to do to go fast, rather just says that
"
different size sway bars can help" and "some cars do better with lower,
stiffer springs".  The paper model idea from Smith's books really shows what
difference small changes can make.  The reading is not light or easy, but its
not worth reading something that won't tell you everything that you need to
know.  The other books only give a few of the needed equations.

The only other really beneficial thing that I have seen around is the computer
software by Bill (William)_________.  I can't remember his name right now.
Basically, it allows you to enter all of your suspension criteria, roll
centers, etc. and allows you to manipulate every small insignificant detail
and measure its effect pseudo-dynamically.

jim

-

-