fot

Re: SCATTER SHIELD

To: gasket.works@gte.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SCATTER SHIELD
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 09:19:57 EDT
In a message dated 9/26/00 6:27:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
gasket.works@gte.net writes:

<< The ballistic blanket covers the bellhousing and gearbox
 en-wrapping it with several nylon straps .. It will contain the entire
 gearbox and save the remnants with in it..  that way you won't litter the
 track with your mess except the oil....

The gearbox wrap that I used for years turned out to be a big heavy oil
soaked mess, and hard to install.  It was also a very effective insulator, or
heat transfer shield.  I felt that it may have had something to do with the
frequent breaking of my transmission housings (though I imagine that
vibration is mainly responsible for this).  I am sure that the more modern
gearbox wraps are much better than what I used.

I finally tacked welded some 1/4" plate in the vicinity of my feet to the
metal transmission cover with a Sears buzz box.
With a fire ax, I then did the heat and beat routine to obtain the proper
form, and tacked welded some more.  The work is obviously not very
professional, but it passed Tech. Inspection for the last several years.
Maybe I shouldn't be advertising what I did.