fot

Re: SCATTER SHIELD

To: racespit@netzero.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SCATTER SHIELD
From: "Mordy Dunst" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:31:53 -0500
I called my friend who makes carbon fiber parts.  I asked him his
oppinion...

He thinks that a multilayer kevlar 'blanket' about 3/8" thick would be
sufficient and could be made to fit the inside of the tunnel..He guestimates
the cost about $300.00/pop... I think this is expensive.

I suspect that Diest has the material in multilayer sheet form and cut it
with a hot knife.. The benefit of the ballistic blanket vs. the scatter
sheild (i.e. blanket wraps the bell and gears vs. the shield which surrounds
the unit around the bell..) are
1) The blanket is bolted to the Motor
2) completely surrounds the revolving parts.
 but, has disadvantages.
1) Keeps heat in.
2) becomes saturated with debris, oil and mess
3) Though it has a heat sheild from the exhaust pipe it must get hot.
4) +other which I hav'nt thought of yet.

.