fot

Re: SPAX shocks

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SPAX shocks
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:21:22 -0700 (MST)
On all the Spax I've seen so far, which is not that many, the adjustment is
a small, slotted affair, maybe 1/4" in diameter near the bottom mount.  On
the TR7 strut inserts I have, there is a small acorn nut on the top screw
which I assume serves the same purpose.

The adjuster firms up the shock when turned clockwise.  It will click every
half turn, due to an internal detent mechanism I imagine.  When it reaches
the firmness limit, the adjuster will no longer turn.  When softening the
shock, the adjuster will turn as long as you are willing to keep twisting
the screwdriver.  Only the first 7 full turns (14 clicks) I think it is,
actually have any effect, after that you are just wearing out your wrist.

My suggestion would be to clean the bottoms of th eshocks and try and locate
these adjusters.  Make a note of how many clicks it takes to get to the max
setting so you know where you are starting from.  Are you having handling
behavior you'd like to tune?

mjb.