fot

Re: Reality Check

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Reality Check
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:52:02 -0600
Joe,

Well, you would get some serious power, lots of technology, far greater
reliability than a pumped up TR engine.

But, you will piss off some, if not most of your peers. There are those
who will appreciate what you have done, but probably very few with
Triumphs.

Some of the things that have passed through the Colorado English Motoring
Conclave, a day in the park type of car show by English car clubs, but
never seen again were:

TR-4 fitted with a Toyota Twin Cam, 1.6 litre I think. Nice fit, well
done, not at all well received by the British inclined public.

Early Lotus Elite fitted with a Buick aluminum V-8. Beautiful car,
Wedgwood Blue. The car was never meant to have that much engine in it and
to get it in there was a real bastardization of a great car. It could not
have handled well at all. It too was nit very well received when its
bonnet was open, fine when the bonnet was closed.
Engine probably weighed as much as the rest of the car.

MGB, totally stock. How fickle are people? This MGB's only infraction was
it was a Street Rod theme. It was the 'Pink Panther". Interior was done
in pink and white but was still clearly an MGB. The spare tyre cover had
a likeness of the Pink Panther on it, again, nicely done in a completely
finished trunk. The "worst" of it was the paint. That is what made it
stand out from the crowd if Bs They had added chrome strips modified from
or inspired by the 1956 (I believe) Ford (probably irritated the Ford
guys too). You know the one, sort of a check mark that divided the two
tone paint. That is exactly what was done to the MGB. Painted in pink and
white to keep with the theme. The car was  stock, very nicely done, no
Japanese engine or the like. The lady whose car it was got so much grief
for her really exceptional car that we have never seen her or her car
again. That's a real shame!

Probably ought to rethink this one if you don't want to run afoul of your
peers. If that is not a consideration, go for it!
Imagine, an English car that you can drive without a tool kit and still
feel secure. Oh yeah, its still in an English car.

Bill

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:19:16 -0700 Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net> writes:
> I have been doing some budgetary calculations to see what it is going
> to cost to supercharge a 1300 engine (and do it right).  So far, I
> have come up
> with places to spend over $6200.
>
> On a whim, I called a wrecking year and asked what it would cost to
> buy a low mileage Honda S2000 engine and transmission.  The guy did
> some checking
> and found several very low mileage units (one with 4 miles, he said)
> complete with all the electronics and 6 speed gearbox ready to drop
> in for $7500
> delivered.
>
> So for a mere $1300 (or less) I will get a 6 speed gearbox that I
> know will handle the 240 hp and won't have to worry about any
> engineering of the
> clutch to make it work.
>
> So, my question here is, "How many of you will be pissed off that I
> abandoned the Triumph power plant and went to a rice burner engine?"
>
> (Be kind, I haven't made any decisions yet)  :)
>
> Regards,
> Joe (C)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!