fot

Re: How much horsepower?

To: " fot mail list" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How much horsepower?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 01 15:52:37 -0700
>Good valve grind always necessary, this means thinned out seat area to the
>edge of the valve

I'm trying something a little beyond that and it seems to be holding
together.

I cleaned up the valve pockets and enlarged them to include the area
where the valve seat would normally be.  Next I had hardened seats
installed upside down so that they tapered from the wider pocket to the
narrower dia valve seat.  New valve seats were cut into the hardened
seats and the late valves were used.

What I was trying for was a venturi at the valve seat to speed the flow
of gases past the valves.

The bad news is that I have no before and after flow test results so I
really do not know if there was an actual flow increase.  The good news
is that the seats seem to be holding together on an engine that sees
6,000 RPM.

TeriAnn Near Santa Cruz, California

My old car: 1960 Land Rover 109 owned since 1978
My new car: 1961 Triumph TR3A owned since 1986
  "Who could ask for anything more"