fot

Re: Justification for cheating

To: "R. Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>, "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Justification for cheating
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:37:20 -0500
You remember pretty close, based on what Vic told me. It was something like
there was this  Trans-Am test day going on at (I think) Riverside. Smokey
rolled in, unloaded, had his driver (Lloyd Ruby?) run some laps that pretty
well blew everyone else into the weeds, loaded up and skedaddled outta there
before the posse arrived. I understand it was as much to tweak the racers as
anything, as the car was headed directly to the dry lake (maybe Muroc rather
than Salt Lake that time) for some record runs.

The car never actually did race, not at least in that configuration. I think
a later owner may have legalized it and run some, but never to any notable
effect.

The mod I always liked on it was the one of pulling the drip rails in closer
to the body for better aero effect. ;-)  Side by side with a Penske-type
Camaro, Smokey's is significantly lower!

--Rocky