fot

Re: Lucas high output generator

To: gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com, jmwagner@greenheart.com, BRITPAC@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lucas high output generator
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:06:32 EST
In a message dated 1/12/02 1:22:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com writes:

<< I truly don't understand all the interest in converting a +4 or a 4/4 to an
 alternator. >>

As you later mentioned in this message: Extra weight, broken brackets between
the generator and block, broken generator face plates, and failed generators
under racing conditions.  I have raced 37 years using a generator, and I use
to carry a bushel basket of starter motor and generator used parts to a
generator shop. They would be asked to try to get two or three of each
working.

I might have finally resolved the broken front generator face plates when I
found an ancient corroded generator with a steel (not aluminum) face plate on
it.  After transferring this steel plate (more weight) to a working
generator, there haven't been anymore broken face plates for the last several
years.  I also went to a super starter to eliminate the weak, heavy Lucas
starter.

>From Tim Studdard's article in Grassroots Motorsports, I ordered from J. K.
Jackson, hopefully all of the necessary parts to convert to an alternator.
If I am fortunate enough to find time to install them, my goal is to try to
use an alternator before I have to hang up my drivers suit.  J. K. is having
some more of his special brackets made.