fot

Re: Camshaft failure? :(

To: "Russell" <rjmunns@btinternet.com>,
Subject: Re: Camshaft failure? :(
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:28:49 -0800
Yes, this can happen with ANY camshaft.  Generally the surface of a
reground-cam is smooth but pretty soft and about the only protection they
get is to be parkerized ( a coating).  The main problem for immediate wear
is revving the engine, or blipping the throttle when the part is new. It is
hard not to listen to the sound when you've just finished a modification but
unless you give the engine a run in time period of at least a few minutes at
low revs, just over idle you've got a more than fair chance of screwing up
the camshaft.  The slow running ( without blipping) allows the camshaft and
other parts to surface harden. I learned this lesson a long time ago but it
still applies.  On occasion it will happen even after this precaution but
not often.  The other culpert is a camshaft lift curve that is too big
(radical) for the lifter diameter.  This is a  thing that can happen with
the little lifters of the Spitfire engine. The lobe catches the edge of the
lifter and peels it like an apple.