fot

faulty parts alert

To: fot@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: faulty parts alert
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 19:37:41 -0500
Today I assembled an engine with lots of new parts including camshaft
and tappets. When I adjusted the valves, three of the pushrods seemed
"short". The adjusting screws of those three had to be screwed in much
further than the rest of them. After hours of searching for the cause, I
found that the new tappetts from Moss, part #838-250, varied in the
depth of the bore in which the pushrod sets. Five of them had a "foot
thickness" of 1/4" -- but three of them were only 1/16" thick at the
bottom!!!!! A sure path to failure and lots of mischief inside the
engine.

If anyone has purchased these recently, better check them!

--

uncle jack