fot

RE: faulty parts alert

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: faulty parts alert
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:09:01 -0500
On the same vein, I bought studs from a vary reputable vendor who resells
Moss (some of the packages had moss p/n).  I broke one head stud (at 35 ft
lbs) and actually pulled the threads off 3 manifold studs at 20 ft/lbs!!!!

If you get those pretty copper coloured manifold studs from Moss, I wouldn't
use them.  I buying all new from ARP as soon as I can afford it.  I believe
the head stud may have be a fluke.  I studied it after failure and it
appears that the threads were damaged were the nut stopped, causing me to
twist it off, and all the rest torqued down properly.  However, the manifold
studs are not good quality at all.

First time I've ever had problems from Moss, and they may not be aware of
the problem.  I plan on calling them and giving them a heads up Friday.

Yes, I have a good calibrated torque wrench, and yes, the studs were
properly lubricated.

Bill