fot

Watkins Glen Race Report

To: "Friends of Triumph" <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: Watkins Glen Race Report
From: "jaboruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:58:36 -0400
I was at the Glen this past weekend for an SCCA double race weekend
and the season finally for the Volvo Historic Series.  As has been the
case all season if I did not have bad luck I would have no luck at
all.  I did, however, get to finish the 2nd race, although 3 laps
down.  The car was over heating, and I now suspect a bad head or head
gasket - I have not had time to tear it down yet.  I was getting wild
fluctuations in the temperatures.  When I got on it hard, the temps
would quickly rise up to 250 deg F. , but would fall back to 190-200
when I backed off.  I made 2 laps in the race on Sat. and had to come
in because the temp stayed at 250.  I found a split top radiator hose.
I replaced that, and qualified in the rain on Sunday.  The max temp
was 230.   Went out for the race (not raining at the start) and after
5 laps it was up to 270 so I pitted.  I put a gallon of water in and
went back out to finish while taking it easy.  It did start raining
during the race, and I think that helped keep it cool enough to
finish.  That was my only finish this year.  My biggest competition in
a Volvo p1800 has had a similar year, having built his 4th motor.  He
came in on the 2nd lap and was done for the day, on a new motor.  We
can only hope that we got all of the bad things over this year, and
next season will be much better.  Joe(B)