fot

Re: Watkins Glen Race Report

To: BillB@bnj.com, jaboruch@netzero.net, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen Race Report
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:44:37 EDT
In a message dated 09/17/2002 11:29:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
BillB@bnj.com writes:

> Subj:RE: Watkins Glen Race Report
> Date:09/17/2002 11:29:10 AM Central Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:BillB@bnj.com";>BillB@bnj.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:jaboruch@netzero.net";>jaboruch@netzero.net</A>, <A
>HREF="mailto:FOT@autox.team.net";>FOT@autox.team.net</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Sounds more like bad friction than head problems. Do you have an oil temp
> gauge? If your oil temp climbs rapidly you can pretty much assume it's a
> seized piston or a spun bearing.

Amici:

Maybe, but it sure sounds like the exact thing I had at SVRA's Watkins Glen
event the week end before last.  Classic 'HEAT SPIKES', caused by a tiny leak
or leaks in the combustion chamber that only manifest themselves when you
pour the coals to it.  I ran (and finished) a one hour enduro, but did so by
driving the whole course in 4th gear (except for coming out of the heal of
the boot, where I went back to 3rd).  My lap times were four to five seconds
off my personal best, but I was able to maintain a water temperature of
200-210.  In the five lap Qualifying Race on Saturday, I raced hard for three
laps, and the temperature went up to 240.  I backed off in laps 4 and 5, and
it cooled off to 205.

We popped the head when we got back to Wisconsin, and it was a head gasket
leak.

Bill Dentinger