fot

Re: Watkins Glen Race Report

To: FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Watkins Glen Race Report
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 07:52:40 -0700
>Racer's Wholesale list both electric and mechanical oil temperature systems.
>Are there any opinions on which type is better, or which type do most of you
>FOTers use?  Any info. will be appreciated.

This past March in the F500 SCCA National race here in Phoenix I burned
down and engine in the middle of the third lap of a practice session and I
had not ben going very fast as it was a new car and I was still just
getting a feel for how it was handling.  Here is an excerpt from a Race
report I filed at that time...

"...Chico pulled a spare motor out of the trailer and we (Chico, Gene and
myself) proceeded to swap motors.  As we were disconnecting the water temp
sensor from the motor the wire came loose.  That would explain why the
water temp unit had not given any warning.  Another good example why an
electric water temp unit is better than a mechanical one.  If it had been
electric I would have pulled off track when it went to zero, as it was the
mechanical gauge still read around 170 even with the wire completely
disconnected from the sensor."

I like the idea of a mechanical sensor since it will continue to show
readings with the car switched off, however the above story shows a
potential problem with that too.