fot

Re: Re: Lifter Hardness

To: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>, "'Brad Eells'"
Subject: Re: Re: Lifter Hardness
From: "Kas Kastner" <kaskas@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:53:33 -0700
In the hoard of Triumph engines that I have done I never thought to keep the
lifters separated and go into the same spot. Also I surfaced the foot of the
followers on a very fine stone after giving them the heavy shot on the Apex
grinder. I'vce used hundreds of used followers cause they wern't in stock in
the parts department and I didn't have any money anyway.Never had a problem
with them or  a lobe going flat after giving a little break in time of about
15 minutes and using assembly lube a-plenty.

Generally a cam does not have  a square lobe but is ground to have a
slightly higher side to the lobe and it is this small difference that TURNS
the lifter each time the lobe comes around. This being true when you have a
lifter that does not have a round pattern then the lobe of the cam is
probably worn just little, nothing to panic about but just a little normal
wear. All of the cams that are stamped with my name were ground on billets
from the factory that had never been ground on the lobes, they were ground
in the USA and then parkerized as a hard lube and that is all. No further
hardening.  From this is suspect that the chilled cast iron cam followers
are a LOT harder than the lobe  ( I know this). The lobes do gain hardness
rather quickly with running then same as an metal (or most) will gain a
hardness as you beat the  hell out of them with a hammer. And this is why
you need to be very careful on the first running of an engine with a new
cam, give the lobe a chance to harden. Running for about fifteen minutes at
a fast idle with NO BLIPPING OF THE THROTTLE.  Want to skin the lobe off a
camshaft?  Just don't bother with assembly lube and run the engine with lots
of throttle blips to hear that lovely sound just as soon as you've fired it
up. Not every time of course.......but enough.