fot

How to build a spit racer??

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: How to build a spit racer??
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 13:51:58 EST
Well after surviving the divorce, closing the business, selling off the 60
TR3, 59 TR3, 2 TR4's and the 36 Morgan F2 three wheeler, giving up on
building an Ambro and almost surviving the IRS I was offered a decent 67 Spit
that my sons and I want to turn into a track car. The boys are 17 and 15, one
owns a 55 TR2 the other a 60 Morris Minor. Both are project cars. These guys
are the next generation of owners/drivers and want to do most of the work
(and driving ) themselves. We're set up with good garage space, 110V MIG,
usual collection of tools, no machine shop.

I need to collect a little more info about the yes and no stuff for local
running (NM, Colo. Az. Ca. maybe Ok.)  I would appreciate any input from
those who have been there nose to nose building a Spit. We're looking for
reliable racing to start, speed will come along.  Maybe top ten things to
start off with.  We won't be able to afford fancy, large $$ stuff right away
so we're looking for low cost, high labor things.  The car is an unmodified
67, very solid body, intact, running. We already know we're  interested in a
roll cage/bar design, seat belt installation and comments. The car is not
home here yet but we will be checking condition of suspension, steering etc.
in the next few weeks. What are high probability problem areas of typical
wear on these cars ?  The engine was rebuilt at the local high school :) and
runs. What to check out before we run it?  They want to just run it till it
gives up the ghost.

I'm an OK wrench, but my racing experience driving is absent. I hung around
with Bob Grossman for a couple of years in the 60's up and down the east
coast but my job was to drive the  912 to the track and deliver the cooler,
maybe polish the Cobra. I spent lots of fun hours in the pits at
Bridgehampton, The  Glen, Lime Rock and some other tracks whose names I just
can't recall. I never got to go along to Sebring or other exotic locations
Grossman raced.  We stayed home and stole his yacht while he was out of
town!!  Was anyone else on this list at the first SCCA sanctioned race of
that turbine powered car?  I think the track was in W. Pa. or Maryland?  More
recently I used to follow Henry Morrison when he had the good sense to run a
TR3, and I get to the track in Albuquerque when not hiding out in Old Mexico.
I still love the smell, the sounds the action on race days.

Don't be shy.  All input appreciated.  Not to scare anyone too much but maybe
we'll start seeing some of you guys at the track next year, finally.  Anyone
having decent, safe used stuff to sell, seatbelts, helmets, shoes, racing
suits please let us know also, we need it all.  We think we have a couple of
pretty girls to drape over the car while in the pits so that is taken care of
anyway.

Bob, Travis and Evan Paul
Corrales NM