fot

Re: How to build a spit racer??

To: EPaul21988@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to build a spit racer??
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:04:04 EST
In a message dated 12/1/02 10:56:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
EPaul21988@aol.com writes:

<<  Was anyone else on this list at the first SCCA sanctioned race of
 that turbine powered car?  I think the track was in W. Pa. or Maryland?  >>

I believe that I was there at the Connelsville Airport, sometime in the 60's.
 For some reason, that thing was on the track the same time that I was during
a practice.  It came screaming by me, almost breaking my ear drums.  I
thought something was wrong with my car.

During the race, Bob Negal was ahead of the turbine car in some big bore
auto, until he spun out.  Negal recovered, caught, and past the turbine car
at the end.  Ed Lauther CO-drove this car at Sebrine, couldn't control it,
and ran it into a wall.  I saw this incident on TV, a program airing old
races.  Ed told me about his experience with this car not too long ago,
before he suddenly passed away.

There were a few turbine cars at Indy the next year, but they all suddenly
disappeared.