fot

Re: TR4/6 Master Cylinder

To: WEmery7451@aol.com, jlee-cc@worldnet.att.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4/6 Master Cylinder
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 11:01:31 EST
In a message dated 02/15/2003 9:47:52 AM Central Standard Time,
WEmery7451@aol.com writes:

> The only reason that I changed to a dual braking system was that SCCA EP
> required it.  In my opinion, it is not necessarily safer.  My system came
> from RevingtonTR in England.  From other FOTers' messages, I believe that
> Tilton now has systems.  Had Jack Wheeler continued to race, he was going
> try collecting TR-6 parts to make the conversion.

I agree with you!  I, too, am not convinced it is safer.  I had the brakes
fail on a 1980s Chevrolet 3/4 Ton Van, and it had a dual brake system.  I had
no brakes.  My salvation was STANDING on the emergency brake pedal.

It is even tougher on a TR3, when you want to avoid butchering the firewall
sheet metal.  We use a split system off an Austin Taxi Cab (a LUCAS part)
that John Harkness came up with.  We've had no problems, but I am not
convinced it is better than what the car came with.  We always counted on the
hand brake as backup.

Of course, we don't go all that fast.

Bill Dentinger