fot

RE: TR3A cooling

To: "'WEmery7451@aol.com'" <WEmery7451@aol.com>, grandwazoo@earthlink.net,
Subject: RE: TR3A cooling
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:26:17 -0800
Unless you've done something special to your radiator cap that really
doesn't happen. The water doesn't get sucked back in because the TR3
radiator cap is just a single flow cap. When the engine cools a little the
radiator cap seats--there's no way for the coolant to return. You can
modify it to make that happen, as it does with modern cars, but you need a
modified radiator neck to accept the kind of radiator cap that acts as a
light check valve for coolant flowing back into the system.

Older radiators were generally designed with thick cores. Air doesn't pass
through them very well. You can recore a stock radiator with modern core
material and leave out the crank hole and gain quite a bit more cooling
capacity. For most cars and most tracks (maybe not las vegas or Phoenix)
that's probably enough.