fot

Head Cooling Problems

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Cooling Problems
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 15:37:31 EST
In a message dated 2/27/03 7:13:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cartravel@pobox.com writes:

<< This must be a helluva cooling problem, since its running 230 degrees on a
70 degree day.  I've
 already got a radiator with no crank hole (not sure what type of core).
 I've got the oil cooler mounted behind a hole in the front apron and
 everything is shrouded to force all air through the radiator.  >>

These conditions remind me of a screw up I pulled in the late 60s.  I took
out the thermostat and didn't replace it with a restrictor washer.  Thinking
that I would improve the engine cooling, the temperature soured out of sight.
 If the water travels too fast through the radiator, cooling capacity is
reduced.  Also, I might have been pulling down the block pressure to the
point that the coolant was flashing to vapor.

Several of us were then for a period of time by shimming the radiator caps
with rubber washers, which we cut out of gasket material.  This practice kept
the coolant in the system, until a hose would blow off or the packing would
blow out of the water pump.