fot

Re: Head Cooling Problems

To: BillB@bnj.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head Cooling Problems
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:15:42 EST
In a message dated 3/2/03 5:14:12 PM Pacific Standard Time, BillB@bnj.com
writes:

<< It's probably more about the reduced pressure allowing bubbles to
 form--something engineers call nucleate boiling. I don't know about this
 "water moving too fast through the radiator" notion. Usually rapid flow is
 good for cooling because it keeps the boundary layer thin.  >>

I agree that probably ninety percent of the engine overheating problems
result in the coolant flashing to vapor due to the loss of block pressure.
We were doing some NRC smokescreen calculations directed at optimum flow
rates in heat exchangers, trying to avert massive expenditures in plant
modifications at the Happy Valley Nuclear Plants.  We also had Kas slowing
down coolant flow using larger pulleys.

The talk of the times (60s), when many TR-3 drivers would show up at Nelson
Ledges, would be optimum flow rate and restrictor washer size.  I remember
when ten to fifteen TR-3 would start a race, and we were all having similar
problems.  I seem to now be the last of them.  This isn't to say that
everyone couldn't have been wrong at that time.  I am now taking Randall's
"Stewart Components" seminar.

Next questions for the cross flow radiator experts:

1) I assume that I could go to a radiator shop and have a cross flow core
installed that will fit in the existing TR-3 radiator space.

2) How do you plumb the thing to put the radiator cap on the suction side of
the system (from seminar)?  This might not be possible with the tractor
blocks.