fot

Live from Pacific Raceways

To: "Robert Dardano" <19to1tr6@attbi.com>, "team" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Live from Pacific Raceways
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 07:09:29 -0700
Who wee. Got a race. Dennis Akers is here in my group with the Pooper
(Porsche-powered cooper) and we had a blast. Yesterday he qualified a
little faster than me (we were both in the 1:42 range) and during the race
he pulled away from the start. It's a lot faster down the straights and
out of the corners but Peyote handles better so I can catch up in the
fiddly stuff. I passed him once but he got me right back. It was wheel to
wheel for eleven laps, and on the last lap he went a little too deep into
turn two (end of the straight) and looped it. So I won. Great race. We
both turned 1:39 something! A record for both of us.

I was very worried that I'd hit him when he spun. Last year at the
Portland Historics I spun in oil and the only other Pooper in the world
took my tail off and was badly damaged. If the only Peyote smacked into
the only other Pooper it would have been a vintage racing gaffe of
biblical proportions.

Today we have two races. Should be great fun. The Pooper wasn't damaged
and Denny's son might be driving his very fast 356. Though if Denny and I
are turning 1:39's again I don't think anyone in our group will see much
of us. For perspective, the fastest lap turned yesterday was by Richard
Griot in the open wheel class--he running some kind of Formula 5000
car--1:30 something. Denny and I would have been in the top third of that
pack. Heady stuff.