fot

Question on Steering

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question on Steering
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 00:32:27 -0500
Bill Babcock wrote (in part):

> I used to shuffle steer, now I don't . . .
> I pretend my hands are glued to the wheel. And even cross
> over my arms when I'm steering the car around the pits . . .

I defer without hesitation to Bill's talent and experience. But anyone who
finds themselves on-track with arms crossed and the steering wheel
approaching 1800 of rotation should have a ready answer for these questions:

1) What do you plan to do if MORE steering input is needed?

2) If (or--since you're driving a Triumph--"when") the trans slips out of
gear in mid-corner, which hand are you going to move to the gear lever?

I've seen the photos of Stirling with arms crossed. But when I tried it at
home, I found that the only thing still in contact with the wheel on the
"underneath" hand was my thumb. Your mileage may vary.

Jim Hill

 I think