fot

Re: Question on Steering

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question on Steering
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:21:11 -0500
> I used to shuffle steer, now I don't. It took me a while to get used to
> it, but I'm certain I gain both precision and reaction time. If you move
> your hands on the wheel you are always adjusting hand position for better
> leverage. You move your hand in preparation for making the steering input
> change, so your reaction time degrades. It's like telegraphing a punch by
> dropping your shoulder. You might have more leverage, but the time to
> deliver is longer.

In a competition situation, you are not reacting, you are planning and
preparing what you are going to do. You know which way the turn goes, so you
get ready for it. True reaction -- an avoidance situation, for example, or
even a slight adjustment of your line through the turn -- typically does not
require huge turn input so often no need to release the wheel even from
10-2.

> Changing over made a BIG difference in driving Peyote since it is a
> slider. To keep it anywhere near the max requires constant and sometimes
> radical steering input. I pretend my hands are glued to the wheel. And
> even cross over my arms when I'm steering the car around the pits. I think
> if you look at the world rally guys you'll never see them move their
> hands--they can't, they need rapid input to save the car in those sliding
> turns.

They also have close-ratio steering that can about do a U-turn with a
quarter-turn of the wheel. Pendulum turns! Wheeee!

But you're right. When the car is sliding, at that point you want your hands
where they should be set for the turn and not to be shifting their location
on the wheel. Watch a Sprint Car guy on TV sometime! Great hand-work.
Incredible car control in cars that are virtually uncontrollable (too much
power, not enough wheelbase).

> It's easier to keep my hands still with the radical, since it has about
> half a turn lock-to-lock and a tiny Momo sculptured wheel--there's no
> where else to really grab.

Exactly as with the rally guys you noted. If the steering is that close, no
need to let go.

> I don't drive that way on the street--there's more than enough
> testosterone fueled assh*le cachet involved with driving a Ferrari as it
> is.

Practice the movements on the street. It may feel slow-mo. but it develops
the habits. You don't need racing speed to instill the racing habits and
motions. The only thing you really cannot practice on the street is mashing
the right pedal -- but that's the easiest part. :-)  Everything else,
steering, braking, lines, looking ahead, etc., can and should be done when
street driving, IMHO. I will left-foot-brake on the street. I may not be
threshhold braking (but still using later brake points than Joe Average and
trying still to be smooth, not jerky), but it is the feel of how I use my
feet that matters.

> BTW, I drove my MV Agusta Senna crotch rocket to work this morning. I've
> got to stay off that thing--I'll either wind up dead or in jail.

Did you pop a wheelie across the finish line, er, entering the parking lot?
:-)

--Rocky