fot

Track Measurement Interpretations

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Track Measurement Interpretations
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 17:26:21 EST
Dear FOTers,

I am looking for some opinions on track measurements.  The GCR describes
Track as follows:

"Track is the distance between the centerlines of the wheels as raced,
without the driver, measured at a horizontal plane through the wheel hub
centerline."

"Alternately, it may be measured from the inside of one wheel at the hub
centerline height to the outside of the other wheel, then conversely from the
outside of the first wheel at hub centerline to the inside of the second
wheel."
This section goes on to talk about toe-in corrections, etc.

The TR-3 and TR-4 are presently allowed the front and rear track width of 53
inches and 52.5 inches, respectively.  Recently, I found three different
racers who were using zero offset wheel rims on their Triumphs, and was
considering
ordering a set for myself.  The stock TR-3 wheel rims have a 2.75 inch
offset.

The few times in the past when I saw cars being checked for track after a
race, it appeared that the measurements were being taken from the inside of one
wheel to the outside of the other wheel.  Is it now acceptable and legal to
have zero offset rims made and say that the measurements are to be taken at the
rear brake drum surfaces and the front hub surfaces?

After taking some track measurements myself, I would comply if the track
measurements were taken at the drum and hub surfaces.  If someone imposed the
alternate method of measuring from inside to outside of the tires, I would not
comply.

Any opinions will be appreciated.