fot

Cylinder Head Flow

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylinder Head Flow
From: "Dean Tetterton" <Richtr@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 10:28:12 -0500
Well Jack, I guess everyone else is like me and don't know enough about the
subject to comment. Without
a flow bench it is hard to know what you are doing. I was hoping others
would chime in and I could learn
a little something or get even more confused on the subject.

The thing I have noticed in looking at manifolds and heads, is that the late
TR3 and early TR4 heads are too big to begin
with. To get a small decrease in the area from the carb to valve it would
require making the head port smaller where the
intake attaches. This is what they did with the late TR4 and 4A head, thus
making it the head of choice. I guess when
we run out of 4A type heads we can start milling the early one's and putting
in a sleeve to decrease the size.

 I would guess that the biggest improvement could be made in the shape of
the port closest to the valve. Smooth out the
long and short side of the turn. I have mixed feeling about shorting the
valve guide where it enters the port. Something needs
to be done but if the guide is shortened, flush with the top,  will the
valve run hotter because it can't transfer the heat to the head as well?

OK Jack, how about some of your findings while playing with the flow bench.
Just waiting to build another motor.....
Dean T.