fot

Re: Cylinder Head Flow

To: cartravel@pobox.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Flow
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:01:51 -0500
Larry:

I'm not sure, but I think you got it right when you mentioned Bernoulli's
Principle. The pressure of the fluid (liquid or gas) at the small diameter
end of the tube would be lower due to Bernoulli's Principle. This would
cause a pressure differential from the entrance (higher) of the tube to the
far end (lower). The pressure differential would give an added "push" to the
liquid, wouldn't it?

I'm writing lecture notes for Fuel Metering Systems, so I've got Bernoulli
on the Brain; maybe the increase in flow has to do with something else!

John Herrera

>From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
>To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
>CC: fot@autox.team.net, Tom Young <try0548@rit.edu>
>Subject: Re: Cylinder Head Flow
>Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:03:13 -0600
>
>Jack,
>I've been wondering about the reason for a constantly decreasing
>crossection. Can you give a technical explanation why the taper increases
>flow?  Decreasing area means increasing velocity and increasing kinetic
>energy.  The pressure is also dropping, so the density is dropping.  It
>must be explained by the Bernoulli equation?
>Larry
>
>Jack W. Drews wrote:
>
>>One final comment on the business of a constantly decreasing diameter.
>>Let's say you have a one foot long tube, constant diameter, and you
>>measure the flow through it. Now let's say that you machine this tube so
>>that it is larger at the inlet end by only .012 inch, and you measure the
>>flow. You find that the tapered tube, slight as it is, flows more air.
>>Fascinating, huh?

Get holiday tips for festive fun.