fot

Re: Memories

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Memories
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:05:52 -0500
I'll add to the list.

1963 or so, my Dad bringing home an ATS coupe. The sound it made
was glorious.

Same day, Dad realized he needed more room, so swapped cars with
a co-worker. The co-worker lived a mile away, and every time he
went out for a ride, I could hear the beautiful sound. He said
later that he had to go a different way each time because of the
cops.

First time hitting the ton (100 mph) in a Rolls-Royce on I-75
between Pontiac and Flint.

Watching the Matras, Porches and Corvettes at LeMans in 1974.

My first Gran Prix, Silverstone in 1975. Fittipaldi won in the pits
after everyone crashed in the rain. There was also a Mini based
Duckhams Q can (I can supply photos) and some guy doing a wheelie
on a bike most if not all the way around the track.

Working the tunnel at Detroit F1, the sounds the turbo F1 cars made.

Convincing my wife that: Hey, if you break the Spit, then I'll
just fix it. Before she went out and took second in ladies class in
the Auto-X at NATC in 1981. Then finishing the rally with 7 or 8
penalty points, giving the Grape 1 and 2 in auto-x and 1st in rally.

My first ride in a Spit, around 1964. Didn't realize how obsessed I
would become with Triumphs.

My high school buddies and the time we spent the summer after graduating
restoring a '48 MG TC.

My first time on slicks in the Spit. What a difference.

My second time on slicks in the Spit. Coming off the line, going
for second and finding nothing but revs. What a mess the gearbox
was.

Driving the Stag for the first time.

Any day spent at the races with friends.

Any day spent anywhere with my wife.

Cheers,

Doug

--