fot

Memories

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Memories
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 13:33:42 -0700
The first time I ever drove a 1967 GT-6, my first English car as well,
late one night in Red Rocks, Denver Mountain Park and discovered exactly
why swing axles suck.

Getting to drive a 1967 427 Corvette coupe as a teenager. The downside
was it was raining and anything more than quarter throttle was nothing
but wheel spin.

Beating a 1959 Corvette from three lights in my 1964 Impala SS, being
beaten by a 1957 Bentley (badly) in same.

Setting up a corner station at Second Creek Raceway on a cool spring
morning with the sound track from 'Grand Prix' playing in the background.

The smell of race fuel exhaust in the morning.

The sound of the 3.5 litre F-1 engines at full chat in an semi-enclosed
section of the track in Phoenix, especially after removing an ear plug in
an attempt to hear a coworker.

The thrill of using the whole road and ignoring STOP signs while running
a sanctioned Street Race. Actually racing through the parking lot of the
Avon Police Department at an RMVR race in Avon, CO. Driving straight at
an Avon Policeman, radar speed gun in hand,  at 70+ mph in a 25 mph zone
and not worrying about it.

A cold beer at the end of the day with fellow race marshals and drivers.

Watching a friend in his Formula Ford set an altitude record at Second
Creek after touching tyres with a Formula V and landing on its side. The
'smiles' made by the wheels in the track remained until the track was re
paved.

Spinning Clive's GT-6 in corner 10 at Pueblo (where the only walls at the
facility are) and watching the wall go by, thinking, 'Clive just re
bodied this thing and I'm going to crash it'. Then it spun back onto the
track, facing race direction. Restarted and still finished second.

Getting to discover first hand that Ferrari made quantum leaps from the
308 to the 348 to the 355. Really wanted to see for myself if they did it
again with the 360, but was more than impressed with the ride in the 360.

Getting to work at exotic car events where some of the world's most
fabulous cars participated. Watching one of the participants practically
beg the owner of a Ferrari 250 GTO to allow him to wash the GTO.

Getting to know Bob Sutherland and seeing the incredible cars he had and
raced.

Getting to race against the Cunningham C4R that won Sebring in 1957 at
Steamboat.

All the people who bring their toys out for any type of event keep adding
to the list...

Bill Rosenbach
1970 GT-6+