fot

RE: bon ami

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bon ami
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:07:57 -0800
Justin wrote (with major snippage) :
> Bon Ami Cleanser
> Bon Ami contains the effective yet gentle abrasives feldspar and
> calcite.

> Bon Ami Cleaning Cake and Bon Ami Cleaning Powder
> Both contain gentle feldspar abrasive for polishing and soap
> for cleaning all hard surfaces. Use to defog windows and mirrors. NASA
> even used Cleaning Powder to clean the windows on Skylab. Stock
> up and save!

> So the later product is the cleanser, which doesn't contain "soap", but
> does contain "detergent and bleach".  I purchached a can of this today,
> and it warns that it contains "calcium carbonate" which I believe is a
> detergent.

I forgot to address this point ... Calcium carbonate is not a detergent
(which is a good thing since it's the major ingredient in Tums), it's also
known as Calcite or limestone.  It's the abrasive in Bon Ami Cleanser (but
not in Bon Ami cleaning powder) that is harsh enough to scratch glass.  Both
have feldspar (which is actually a generic name for a group of very soft
minerals), but only the cleanser has calcite.

And I assume we're all clear that dumping this stuff down the intake is not
a normal thing to do, rather it's a last ditch effort before tearing the
engine down again.

Randall