fot

RE: bon ami

To: riverside <riverside@Cedar-Rapids.net>, fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bon ami
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:42:04 -0800
As usual, the easiest way to check these things out is a quick Google
search, which yields lots of hits, including www.bonami.com . It will
probably excite many of you to know that not only do they make the same
cleansers with the same ingredients that they first manufactured in 1886,
the Faultless Starch/Bonami company owns numerous other brands including the
ever popular garden weasel. It is NOT Diatomaceous earth as I so foolishly
stated, but Feldspar that makes Bon Ami so special. Further search reveals
that Feldspar is a relatively soft silicate (a hardness of about 6),
frequently (but not exclusively) calcium sodium aluminum silicate.

There are many stories on the web about sifting Bon Ami into the carb of
running engines to deglaze the barrels of engines with chrome rings that
didn't seat. Sort of like lapping the rings with a higher cycle rate. It's
probably just fine to do that before you resort to a teardown of a smoky
street engine (and maybe even a racing motor). People in the forums fretted
about it getting into the oil. No way, unless the rings are missing.