fot

Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Sort of an LBC question... but not exactly....
From: "Michael D. Porter" <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:24:20 -0700
On my way back from my girlfriend's, who lives in central Texas, I encountered
a rather zealous cop, who pulled me over
for doing 85 in a 70 mph zone on I-20, near Colorado City, TX. Only difficulty
was that I was doing 70, and had the
cruise control set all the way from Abilene at that speed.

It would have been a sort-of LBC question, but I can't manage six and a half
hours straight in the GT6 any more, and was
driving the 300ZX. I think I was the victim of a "let's get the out-of-state
driver" trap--sports car and out-of-state
plates.

If anyone has any tested court procedures for challenging an improper speeding
ticket, I'm all ears. I did what I could,
according to books on the subject--I stated clearly that I was not speeding,
and reiterated that, without hostility, in
the last thing I said to the cop.

I'm betting that this guy won't appear in court, but I don't want to take that
chance. I'd like to have some questions
for him if he does show up for court, since I intend to appear. Any suggestions
are welcome.

Fifteen over in Texas is going to be a pretty big ticket. I'd swallow the cost
and pay the fine if I had been doing that
speed, but I'm more than a little irked that the cop picked me out of a gaggle
of cars from a mile and a half behind his
static location when I wasn't speeding. I've been with a new insurer for only a
year, with a previously great driving
record, and I certainly don't want some quota hot dog damaging that and causing
raised rates, especially since I'm
recently unemployed--I don't need additional bills like this one.

Advice is welcome.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.