fot

Brag Time (non-TR material)

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brag Time (non-TR material)
From: Wes Dayton <oilyrag@hsrca.org.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 21:31:45 +1100
Okay - I'm always reading about these wonderful stories of huge fantastic
race meetings across the USA, the U.K. etc. But here's my little story of
the last few days in small-time down-under Australia.

One of the support events to this year's Australian F1 Grand Prix was a
"Historic Demonstration" - one 'sort-of' race each day of the Thursday to
Sunday spectacle. I got an invite to share a drive of a friend's 1935 Morris
8-based Australian Special supercharged single-seater; I didn't need to be
asked twice.

I'm sure many of you have witnessed F1 races (this was my first time) so I
won't bore you with the details (but I did win a few bucks on a show bet on
Alonso).

My friend's car performed perfectly all weekend and I got to run on Friday
and then Sunday (in front of what was a reported 120,000 spectators). Some
of the highlights:

1) Getting passed on the pit straight by a Maserati 250F (SIr S Moss) and
four ERAs.

2) Lining up on the dummy (false) grid behind Dean Butler's Indy 4wd Miller
and having him explain why it carries an Alaskan License Plate.

3) Passing Peter Giddings in a 1938 BMW 328 (I think he was having problems)

4) Finally figuring out where I was on the all-too-long circuit when I
discovered that the 'kitty litter' was a different colour at each corner.

5) Sharing a sandwich and drink with Sir S Moss in our underwear in the
changing rooms.

Well - you've got to get lucky sometimes!

Wes (back-to-reality) Dayton